This one has been on our minds for a while considering that a lot of places in Mumbai have the "No kids please" policy Click here here if you haven't read our post on it. Here is what we considered before listing down some child-friendly restaurants from a mother's perspective.
1. Hygienic Food. Kids cannot fall sick after eating here.
2. Staff is accommodating towards kids and does not sulk with too much noise and displaced cutlery.
3. Have interesting table mats & crayons to keep kids busy.
4. Has tables that are little far apart and doesn't make you feel cramped.
5.Taste and spice levels should be customised to suit children.
6. An interesting ambience that keeps kids busy.
7. Clean washrooms.
We have gone ahead and tried to include places we absolutely love and that serve junk as well as some healthy treats.
1. Madras Cafe: Actually this could be any South Indian restaurant in Matunga which serves delicious South Indian food. The reason we listed Madras Cafe even though Ram Ashray is our favourite is because it serves Cheese Dosa. which is an all time favourite with kids. But I also feel it restricts the kids to tasting other South Indian delicacies.
Open for Breakfast, Brunch & Lunch: 7:00 AM to 2:30 PM, 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM; Address: 38 -B, Circle House, King's Circle, Matunga, Mumbai. Phone: +91 22 24014419
2. Mainland China: We've tried the one at Sobo Central at Tardeo and they are so accommodating. They not only provide you the high chairs for kids but also give them kids some balloons. The food is extremely child-friendly. Try the corn and water chestnut dumplings, silken tofu delight and some mushroom pot rice. These are our absolute favourites + they are MSG free. Located at Andheri, Powai & Sobo Central, Tardeo.
Open for Lunch & Dinner.
3. Le Pain Quotidien: Ample space, deliciously displayed desserts & breads, child-friendly staff and child-friendly menu from interesting soups, to sandwiches, eggs, cheese, polentas, risottos and breads. We chose to sit on the higher level where the kids had a little corner to play. Address: Dhanraj Mahal, CSM Road, Apollo Bunder, Gateway of India, Colaba, Mumbai; Phone: +9122 66150202; Open: 8.00 am to 11.30 p.m.
4. Swati Snacks: This is another child-friendly place to eat that moms approve of. Moms who crave ( just like me) for dahi puri, chaat, pani puri, ganne ka juice, bhel and need a place that's safe to eat should head straight to Swati snacks. The daughter loves the panki, the moong dal chilla, satpaddi rotti and gatte ki sabji, Sugar cane juice, Pav bhaji & the khichdi there. You can also try the gola with your child here its safe and made with bottled water. Address: 248 Karai Estate, Tardeo, Mumbai; Phone: +9122 65808405, +9122 65808406, +9122 23524994; Open 11.00 am to 11.00 p.m.
5. Indigo Deli: An absolute favourite for breakfast. Opens by 8 am. Great pizzas, risottos, eggs & desserts. Located at Palladium & Apollo bunder.
6. Moshes Cafe + Deli: We love Moshes food across the city. Be it at Crossword kemps corner, the cafe at Cuffe or Phoenix or the deli at the Gateway. From delicious pastas to eggs, to bagels, waffles, and cakes we love it all. Moshes penne which is their signature dish is what the daughter loves the most because it's not red or white- but pink! Try their gooey Chocolate cake, Philadelphia cheesecake or the blueberry cheesecake.
7. Hard Rock Cafe: We've done this a couple of times but indulge in this one when its absolute junk day. Fries to Tortillas to sodas and milkshakes. We did a girls lunch here and its fun. Read our review here on their kids brunch.
8. Renaissance Powai: They have wonderful entertainment options for kids hosted by Party Pixie. So while you are enjoying a good meal kids will be busy doing a host of different activities like craft, cookie decorating, puppets, foam toys, puppetry, etc. Read our detailed review here
9. California Pizza Kitchen: An all day dining place at Phoenix Mills- another moms' hangout. This is not the one that tops our list for food but it is child-friendly. The kids enjoyed themselves thoroughly with all their antics that can embarrass parents to the core.
10. The Tasting Room at Good Earth Store: Lunch or dinner or just simple coffee. They allow kids and that's why we love them. Great food and chilled out ambience- it's a must visit on our places of dining for parents with kids. They have chairs and planked benches that make it easy if you are taking your baby in a carry cot as well. Try the soups, the watermelon & feta cheese salad, some pasta, the cheese platter and of course the deserts. Address: Good Earth, Raghuvanshi Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg,
Address: Good Earth, Raghuvanshi Mills Compound, Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel, Mumbai; Phone: +9122 65285284, +9122 24951954; Open: 1p.m. - 11.00 p.m.
11. Bombay Gym/NSCI/Wellingdon/CCI: Any club where you are a member and makes it comfortable to hang out with kids is worth a lunch date. They usually have child-friendly menus a lot more open spaces and a much larger variety of food options.
12. Smoke House Deli: Parents can choose from salads that are delicious, subs, pastas, risottos, and yummilicious deserts. Plus its all day dining and we love that. Address: Unit No.9G, Block No 3 , High Street Phoenix, Lower Parel, Mumbai; Phone: +9122 24933222, +919619863248; Open 11.30 a.m. to 11.30 p.m.
13. Copper Chimney Worli: Healthy, hygienic food with great service. It's open to families with kids even for dinner and you can never go wrong with Indian food and children. The paneer, roti, dal is something that always works well with kids. Try the Paneer tikka as well for appetizers it's not spicy and very fresh.
14. Woodside Inn: Even though they don't allow kids after 7 p.m. We love woodside for the comfort and the great food they serve. It's a chilled out place and the service is quite quick. Choose the table on the mezzanine floor to make it easy to sit with babies.
15. Shizusan Shophouse and Bar- This shophouse restaurant and bar ensured we as a family had a proper evening out with a great fine dining experience, exquisitely crafted food, great service, and happy, content kids at the end of it! Read our review here.
16. Cafe by the Beach: This one is a perfect one though the food isn't that great, the location by the beach makes it perfect. Read our report on visit to a beach here . Witness the sunset here with a cool drink in hand, reclining on a chair with a book to keep you busy!
17. Cafe Food for thought at Kitab Khana: Kitab Khana is a fun place with some great new titles now to hang out with your kids. Read our review here. If you are catching up with friends or want to do a fun play date its a great place to be. Try their Mexican bowl, chocolate mud pie and some french fries. The menu has a lot on offer but we just picked this.
18. Pizza by the Bay or the old Pizzeria: This one is an absolute favourite. Delicious garlic bread, pizzas and creamy alfredo pasta. Address: Soona Mahal, Marine Drive, Churchgate. Call: +9122 2284 3646, + 022) 22843646/949, 22820957, 22851876 Website www.pizzabythebay.in; Opens: Daily, noon to midnight
19. Spaghetti Kitchen: Located across the city this chain has some healthy Italian treats for kids and is quite child friendly.
20. The Sagars: Shiv Sagar is a safe place to head out with the kids. The food is fresh because it's cooked well and they serve South Indian food which is another children's favourite.
21. Bombay Blues: From Nachos, to Indian style enchiladas & tacos to channa bhatura they have it all. Again spread across many locations it makes it quite popular with parents and kids.
22. Fenix: Fenix frangipani is a great place for kids if they love pastas and pizzas. The eatery offers a variety of pastas and pizzas along with a variety of other food.
23. Frangipani: If your kid is a food lover then this is the right place. This restaurant situated at Trident offers a menu consisting of appetisers, soups, pizzas and pastas, along with seafood specialities and Indian preparations.
24. Two one Two all day: Situated in Santa Cruz, this Bistro with an excellent ambience, offers American, Mediterranean, Italian dishes. Their cheesecake brownie is a must have for kids.
25. Yauatcha: Kids usually enjoy noodles and dim sum at this bistro.They also have a patisserie counter which has in store a variety of delicious pastries.
26. Café Infinito: The café serves all-day breakfast, soups, salads, sandwiches, burgers, and pizzas that are too yummy to gorge on. If your kid is a pizza and pasta lover and prefers great ambience then this is the place you should head to.
27. Cream Centre: This restaurant known for yummy cholle bhatures and brownies has managed to attract a huge amount of attention precisely within the kids. Spread all over Mumbai with its various joints at Chowpatty, RCity and more. This place also offers sizzlers, pizzas, pastas, etc.
28. Millk: The café is right next door to the play zone so that parents can peep through our tactful wall crevices to keep an eye on their loved ones. You will also see these crevices in the wall between the cafe and the kitchen to see their state of the art kitchen. Read our review here.
Image source: stuartduncan.name