Homemade, Healthy Pizza Recipe For Kids (P.S Sneaky Mom Pizza Sauce For Picky Eaters!)
The word pizza conjures up some yummy memories for me - fresh yeasty smells wafting in from my mum's kitchen and filling the entire house. She's always been a 'prepare my own dough' kind of person and I guess I've taken that on from her. I agree that it's not always possible to make your own pizza base and sometimes we have to opt for pizza bases available in the market. But nothing compares to homemade pizzas topped with fresh homemade tomato sauce.
The recipes we've chosen today are simple and your kids can help you make it. It's a great activity to involve the kids in, on hot summer afternoons. Kids love pizza, now let them learn how to bake their own! We have one whole wheat pizza dough recipe and two tomato sauce recipes. One is the traditional one that we use normally to top our pizzas.
You may also like: KSP Meal Plan #25: 19th - 25thMar: Watermelon Gazpacho & Baked Afghani Baingan To Usher In The Summer
The second one is a tip from a mum with a family of picky 'don't like veggies' pizza eaters. Now I don't know about your family, but my husband and kids are not fond of veggies in general. So this is a great way to add vegetables to their diet - sneak it into the sauce and add to their favourite food. You can call this the 'sneaky mum pizza sauce' recipe. It's tried and tested and works like magic. They're happy to be eating pizza for dinner and we're happy because we know how nutritious the sauce actually is. So let's start cooking.
You may also like: 5 Kitchen Tools For Moms Of Picky Eaters
Pizza Dough (makes one large pizza or two medium pizzas)
Image Source: http://app.cookingmatters.org
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
Method To Make Pizza
- In a bowl add the sugar, yeast and warm water. Let it stay for about 10 minutes till it gets frothy.
- Stir in the whole wheat flour, salt, oil and honey. Mix it well for 5 minutes. Let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it to form a nice shiny smooth ball. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with a cloth. Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- If you're going for a large pizza then roll out the dough to the size of your pizza pan. If you're opting for two medium pizzas then break your dough to form two balls and roll out as per size.
- Put the sauce and toppings (don't forget to load up on the cheese) on the rolled out dough and pop it into the oven for 15-20 minutes. Everyone's oven works a little differently so keep an eye on it if you're making pizza for the first time to adjust the time.
You may also like: Stay As Cool As This Refreshing Cucumber Soup This Summer
Traditional Pizza Sauce (makes about 3 medium sized pizzas)
Image Source: http://www.foodiecrush.com
- 5-6 Tomatoes
- 1 Onions Finely Chopped
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- Salt to taste
- Chilli flakes, Black pepper (optional)
Method For Traditional Sauce
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water. Once they're cooked, cool and peel the skin off.
- Put the tomato pulp into a blender and add the ketchup, vinegar, sugar and salt and blend to smooth consistency.
- In a pan, heat the oil and added the chopped onions and garlic. Cook them till they are soft but not brown.
- Add the tomato mix and cook for 5-10 minutes stirring in between.
- Add the oregano ( and black pepper and chilli flakes if you like it spicy)
- Spread the sauce on the dough, top with cheese and all your other favourite toppings and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Sneaky Mom Pizza Sauce
Image Source: https://howtofeedapickyeater.com
The fun part of this sauce is that you can add whatever vegetables you have lying in the fridge.
- 5-6 Tomatoes blanched
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic chopped
- 1/2 Zucchini chopped
- 1/2 Turnip chopped
- 1/2 Carrot chopped
- Handful Spinach Leaves
- Handful Corn Kernels
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- Salt and Oregano
Add whatever other veggies you have - just make sure they're not strong flavoured, otherwise, that would change the taste of the sauce. Tomato will mask all the above tastes, so no one will be any wiser.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, sweat the onion and garlic till they become soft.
- Add all the other chopped veggies except the tomatoes and let them cook down.
- When the vegetables start becoming soft, add the chopped tomatoes, salt and half a cup of water.
- Once the vegetables have cooked properly, put it aside to cool for a while. I made the mistake of putting hot vegetables to blend in my mixie and in seconds my entire kitchen was covered in blobs of liquid. The steam from the hot vegetables creates the problem.
- Since most of the kids are quite finicky, blitz the veggies with seasoning like oregano and then sieve it. Your nutritious and super healthy pizza sauce is ready.
- Put the sauce on the base, use toppings of your choice, add some cheese and your pizza can go into the oven.
You can now serve freshly made pizza to your family. The kids love making the dough and will thoroughly enjoy the entire experience.
You may also like: Delicious Mango Recipes For Kids To Stay Hydrated This Summer
Image Source: http://www.pizzariacarvalho.com.br
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Soundcloud & Instagram or subscribe to our YoutubeChannel for more information.